Puff shape Poori / Puri is an Indain fried Bread primarly found in the Northern India. Now Fried Bread called Poori is famous in India and enjoyed by all.In Kerala it is a breakfast recipe but in the Northern India they enjoy at all meals times. Usually made from a dough of Atta (Wheat flour / Gothampu Podi ).But I made the Poori from a dough of Atta / Wheat flour and Plain White Flour / Maida. I taken both flour 50:50. I have made it several times and it came out well. I hope you will also like it. Here is the recipe.
|POORI / PURI|
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
1 Cup Atta / Wheat Flour / Gothampu Podi
1 Cup Plain White Flour / Maida
Warm water (1 cup or as required )
1 0R 2 Cups Cocanut oil / Any refined oil.
2 tbsp Semolina / Suji / Rava --(Optional)
1. Take both flour and little salt in a bowl and mix well
2. Add 1 cup of warm water little by little, just enough to form a soft dough and knead till more soft.
3. Keep aside for at least 1 hour covering a wet cloth.
4. Divide into equal sized balls- As you like. I made here small size balls.
5. Take a board to roll.
6. Dip the ball in oil.
7. And roll out on board.
8. Take a steel glass or cup or as you like and press it like in the picture. OR you can roll out into desired circles in a medium thickness by hand.
9. Heat a Kadai with oil.
10. Until very hot keep it in a high flame, Then medium flame.
11. Drop 3 to 4 poori in the oil carefully, ( If poori is big, fry the poori one at time) Oil should be enough to immerse the puri.
12. Gently hold / press the puri with the ladle. This will help it puff well.
13. Turn over and fry until light brown.
14. Place on a dish OR Paper / Towelded dish to absorb excess oil -(As you like.)
|POORI / PURI|
15. As I said earlier you can roll out big circles and can make big poori as in the picture shows. Above I prefered small crispy pooris.
Serve hot with mixed vegitable kurma, potato kurma OR any curry you likes.
a) Adding small quantity of Semolina / Sooji / Rava gives more crisper.
b) If you make the poori with Wheat flour only it would be hard.
c)Dough should not be too loose OR too hard.
d) Keep oil very hot.
e) To make soft puri, Knead till smooth and keep it covered by a wet cloth at least 1 hour.
d) You can put the dough in the Refrigerator for 1 hour OR overnight for softness.